Chemical manufacturing company is looking for a Controller with previous experience in a manufacturing plant environment. This role oversees two plants, and reports to the CFO
$120,000 - 130,000 with up to 15% bonus
Full time with benefits, 5% 401K match, 5% retirement, up to 15% yearly bonus.
Similar controller experience in a chemical company or manufacturing plant environment
Monday to Friday, on site
Team / Department Structure
Has one direct report, works with a small accounting team, reports to the CFO
The Operations Plant Controller position is accountable for the overall integrity, accuracy and completeness of the company's manufacturing operations financial results and safeguarding of the plant assets. The Controller partners with manufacturing operations management team and engages in all aspects of these operations to provide timely and comprehensive financial leadership to the plant management team.
This role is also responsible for the day to day accounting, reporting and inventory control for the manufacturing operations. This includes working with the supply chain finance accounting managers, plant management, the North American Business Unit Finance Team, and other controllers.
• Accurate and timely financial reporting
• Balance sheet oversight and reconciliation
• Forecasting & budget planning
• Capital expenditure analysis and reporting
• Accurate cost analysis
• Compliance with internal controls and corporate policies
• Statutory reporting as required
• Completion of internal and external audits
• Support continuous operational and financial results improvement with focus on cost reductions.
• Manage and develop any direct reports.
Financial Reporting and Controls/Compliance:
• Overall responsibility for the plant operations financial results and delivery of accurate timely results in accordance with General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), company processes/procedures and statutory regulations. Achieves this through working closely with the Plant management team, Cost Accounting/Inventory management and Supply Chain Finance teams.
• Work with the Cost Accounting and Plant Management Teams to set annual standards and production yields for financial reporting and costing analysis
• Provide financial guidance and support to plant management with proactive communication of accounting/reporting issues and recommendations.
• Provide guidance/input to management on key business decisions that enable effective and efficient operations and delivery of savings.
• Ensure that as the Manufacturing plant finance team lead they provide local subject expertise for SAP financial reporting and processes. And ensure integrity of plant financial data and information.
• Ensure compliance with key control procedures and corporate policies and procedures at the local level plant management team to ensure the overall financial integrity of the plant financial information and safeguarding of assets.
• Maintain open communication with peers to foster a consistent approach in the financial management of the local operating units.
• Provide support for external and internal audits at the operating facilities. Complete other ad-hoc reporting requests
• Manage the monthly flash forecast process with the plant management team to deliver accurate forecasted Plant results. Appropriate identification of risks and opportunities.
• Lead the development of the annual Operating Plan and periodic detailed forecasts for the plant.
Business Analysis Support:
• Work with the Plant Management Team to identify and recommend process improvements that will deliver financial benefits or mitigate financial risks. Analyze financial data to facilitate decision making process at the plant management level
Education and Experience:
• B.S. / B.A. degree in Accounting or Finance
• CPA or equivalent designation
• Manufacturing/costing experience
• Staff management experience
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong analytical skills
• Proven strategic problem solving skills
• Ability to operate and consistently deliver in a changing environment
• Minimum of 2-5 years at plant/manufacturing controller level
• Onsite plant management (preferred, not required)
Skills and Competencies:
• IT Literate (Microsoft Office)
• ERP System experience (SAP preferred)
• High level of accountability. A self-starter with strong initiative and the ability to work independently. Strong customer service orientation.
• Intermediate to Advanced Excel skills
• Financial Modeling
• Knowledge of financial accounting systems, controls and compliance procedures and industry practices
• Strong Business Ethics Commitment
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability explain results, document processes, and convey ideas.
• Financial analysis skills (identifies information needed to prepare and validate analyses; interprets and draws conclusions from financial information; extracts meaning from data by recognizing trends and patterns)
• US GAAP knowledge
• Sarbanes Oxley knowledge
• Ability to demonstrate continuous improvement in previous roles. Active involvement in cost savings development. (Preferred, not required)
• Sarbanes-Oxley implementation and maintenance experience. (Preferred, not required)
• Emphasis on problem prevention and developing ideas for improvement. (Preferred, not required)
• Strives for high performance and uses technical skills effectively with a demonstrated emphasis to detail and accuracy. Ability to multi-task, and work in an organized, detailed manner under limited time frames & tight deadlines.
top of page
bottom of page